During my short stay in Athens and on the occasion of welcoming our first Travel Bloggers Greece Global member, Gabi of The Tiny Book to Athens, together with a few other members we had dinner at Manas Kouzina Kouzina.
Manas Kouzina Kouzina – Mother’s Kitchen
For those of you who follow my food adventures, must have noticed that I am somewhat a regular at Manas Kouzina Kouzina which is a traditional Greek restaurant located in the heart of Plateia Agia Irini/St. Irene Square. The restaurant specializes in brining back the traditions of Greek cuisine based on the authentic recipes of grandmothers and mothers from all corners of Greece.
Here you will find a selection of recipes which are becoming extinct and as the name implies Manas Kouzina Kouzina is in a way an expression such as caretta caretta. The philosophy of the restaurant is to bring back the forgotten traditions and to take guests on a culinary journey around Greece.
Only Greek products
Another highlight of the restaurant is that they only serve Greek products as well as Greek wines and an extensive selection of Greek beers. Yiannis Spathas, a team member of Manas Kouzina Kouzina presented us with some of the beers, highlighting the distinctive tastes and uniqueness of each brand.
The unique Greek menu
So let me share with you some of the delicious traditional Greek dishes which we tried.
- Veggie Trahanato: Traditional pasta made from goat milk with a Feta cheese sauce.
- Mushrooms Bougiourdi: Mushrooms sautéed with Feta cheese, sheep cheese, red peppers and mushroom truffle.
- Greek Salad a la Manas: Cherry tomatoes, red peppers, onions, caper leaves, olives, Feta cheese mousse and olive oil rusk bread.
- Grilled Graviera Cheese: Served with a wild rose marmalade.
- Pastistada Slow-Baked Rooster with Handmade Greek Pasta: This fragrant and hearty meat and pasta dish hails from Corfu island. The Manas Kouzina Kouzina special version uses handmade pasta from Chios island.
- Herring Dip: This herring dip has a strong delicious bite. It is recommended that you try it with the Greek liquors, such as ouzo or tsipouro.
- Mediterranean Salad: Green salad with carob rusks from Crete, fresh tomatoes, cucumber, onion, basil, spearmint and topped with crumbled Feta.
- Mana’s Tuna Salad: Tuna, tomato, sweet chili and caramelized onion served on a bed of creamy fava which is yellow split pea puree from Santorini.
Which is your favourite Greek dish? If you are looking for an authentic Greek food experience then you should definitely have dinner at Manas Kouzina Kouzina.
Aiolou 27A Plateia Agia Irini/St. Irene Square
Monastiraki 105 51
Tel.: +30 210-325-2335 / +30 210-323-5593